Nick Xenophon & Co.

653 Lower North East Road,
Paradise SA 5075

Phone: (08) 8336 8888


Visit Us

Come see us and ask about our
No Win - No Fee service!

Learn More

Our Location

I slipped and hurt myself, can I make a claim for injury which occurred on public property?

Slipped and got injured in public property

I slipped and hurt myself, can I make a claim for injury which occurred on public property?

Your Rights to Making a Public Liability Claim

If you have been injured because someone else didn’t take the right amount of care, you may be able to make a public liability claim. You must be able to prove the accident was caused by the negligence of a person, an organisation or a company. You may be able to claim compensation for your loss of earnings and medical and related expenses – both future and past. It may also be possible to claim for the care that others have provided to you, or you have been unable to provide to others.

If you have slipped, tripped or fallen on any public or even private property and suffered a physical or psychological injury as a result of someone else’s negligence then you may be entitled to be make a claim for compensation.

Other Injuries you can Claim for

In addition to falling, public liability claims can also cover injuries resulting from a number of different types of accidents, including:

  • from falling objects, for example from a building site
  • Unsafe premises
  • Defective products
  • Animal attacks
  • Physical and sexual assaults
  • Bullying
  • Plane or boat accidents
  • Slippery bike tracks
  • Any type of physical or psychological injury in any private or public place such as schools, playgrounds, sporting and amusement venues, shopping centres or even your friends house.

The highly experienced team at Nick Xenophon & Co. Lawyers have the skills and expertise to handle all kinds of liability claims, to help you secure the best possible outcome. We can advise you whether you have a claim. We can help you understand what evidence you might need, and how to go about getting it.

Strict time limits do apply, so it’s important to seek independent legal advice at the earliest opportunity after your injury. If you are not sure what your rights are then it is strongly recommended that you contact our office. Your first consultation is free. Click here for more information.

Gathering Evidence for your Claim

Following your injury it is vital that you begin collecting evidence immediately, to support your claim including:

  • Take photographs of the accident location (both before and after any repairs)
  • Take photographs of your injury
  • Obtain the contact details of for any witnesses
  • Consult a doctor about your injury
  • Keep copies of medical records relating to your injury
  • Keep x-rays and scans of your injury
  • Keep copies of any correspondence between yourself and the other party
  • Keep a record of your out of pocket expenses and receipts

Nick Xenophon & Co. lawyers will also gather evidence on your behalf – including medical material and details of any earnings lost, engage experts and assess your future needs. We will communicate and negotiate with the other party and will look after all aspects of your claim to ensure you receive the best possible result.

Your Entitlements

If you have suffered because of another person’s negligence you may be entitled to compensation that can help you and your family through difficult times. The compensation you receive could cover you for:

  • Past and future medical expenses
  • Past loss of income and future loss of earning capacity due to your health
  • Damages for pain, suffering, emotional distress and loss of enjoyment of life
  • Personal, domestic or nursing assistance provided by agencies or sometimes without charge by family or friends
  • Miscellaneous out of pocket expenses, including travel and accommodation and home modifications

Making Additional Claims

  • Superannuation and Total Permanent Disability (TPD) Claims – Many people are unaware that their superannuation policy can provide additional benefits. If you sustain an injury and have superannuation, you may be able to access a lump sum payment through your policy. Nick Xenophon & Co. Lawyers will assist you in identifying whether such benefits exist in your policy and submit an application on your behalf.
  • Personal Insurance policy – such as Life Insurance, Income Protection Insurance, Sickness and Accident Insurance – In addition, you may have a personal insurance policy which may include provisions for compensation should you be injured in an accident.

These benefits may be available in addition to other forms of compensation and benefits. You should seek legal advice from Nick Xenophon & Co. Lawyers regarding your entitlement to claim compensation.

Talk to us

Nick Xenophon & Co. Lawyers will help you through this often confusing and complicated public liability compensation legal system, so that you can focus on your health and rehabilitation without the added stress. Your first consultation with one of our expert work injury lawyers is absolutely FREE and we can also discuss the option of a NO WIN-NO FEE arrangement.

Call us now to talk about your personal injury matter on a no obligation basis. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

If you would like more information about your public liability case will take please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us either by submitting an online enquiry or by calling us direct on 08 8336 8888.