Nick Xenophon & Co.

653 Lower North East Road,
Paradise SA 5075

Phone: (08) 8336 8888


Visit Us

Come see us and ask about our
No Win - No Fee service!

Learn More

Our Location

Here’s What to Do If You’re Involved In A Motor Vehicle Accident

Here’s What to Do If You’re Involved In A Motor Vehicle Accident

Firstly, the safety of yourself and any other people involved should be your first priority. Consider calling an emergency response unit like police, ambulance or fire department if appropriate.


Secondly, while still at the scene of the accident, ensure that you:

• Get the name and contact details of the driver of any other vehicles involved in the accident.

• Record the registration number of any other vehicles involved in the accident.

• If there are any witnesses to the accident, obtain their name and contact details also.

• If police are in attendance, ensure they give you a copy of the Vehicle Collision Report number.

• If you are seriously injured and are taken to hospital by ambulance, the police will obtain the details of all other persons involved in the collision, so you do not need to be concerned.


Thirdly, after you have left the accident site:

• If you have not been taken to hospital, ensure you seek medical attention for any injuries associated with the accident, as soon as possible.

• Whether you attend hospital or your GP, ensure they record all injuries that you have experienced, no matter how minor you may think they are.

• If the police do not attend the scene of the accident, ensure that you report the accident to the police as soon as possible. All drivers are obligated to report any motor vehicle accidents where injuries occur. This obligation applies to each driver, whether or not they think they are at fault.

• If your vehicle is damaged, contact your insurance company. You should take photos of any damage to your vehicle before it is sent for any repairs and keep any invoices or quotes for repairs.

• You should also take photos of your injuries including any bruising, cuts or abrasions or swelling.


Lastly, there are important time limits that you need to be aware of to ensure your rights are not lost. You need to lodge a claim form with the CTP insurer within 6 months of the accident. Contact our office to help you through this often confusing and complicated motor vehicle accident compensation legal system, so that you can focus on your health and rehabilitation without the added stress.


Your first consultation with one of our expert motor vehicle injury lawyers is absolutely FREE and we can also discuss the option of a NO WIN-NO FEE arrangement. Call us now on 08 8336 8888.